Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Flashback #1 to Turnip

I've been teaching youngsters for nearly a decade now.  In most instances my class is full or English Language Learners (That's just a term that means students speak a language other than English at home).  For the last few years I have been able to work with more Standard English Learners (These kids speak English at home and learn Academic English at school).  Both of these groups of kids have been a pleasure to work with.
This is the first year that I will be working with a population where the vast majority of students are Standard English Language Learners.  Most of these students have a lot of language and they love to use it!  They are so much fun.  Just last week Kaiser came to our school and performed an awesome assembly entitled "The Amazing Food Detective."  The students were captivated by the actors and the storyline.  Kaiser included lots of dancing and songs that the kids really enjoyed.
The kids left the auditorium so happy!  I heard them say, "The turnup was real!"  Being the educator I am, I inquired about these "turnips" when we returned to the class.  I said, "I'm glad you like turnips.  They are very healthy for you.  I can tell you learned a lot during the assembly."  It was so funny to see their confused faces.  (In all honestly I am not well versed in the term turn up or turnt up.  I consulted my Urban Dictionary for advice).  I could see them trying to figure out a way to explain this phrase to me.  One girl described the term as slang, this was a new term that is being used.  I quickly corrected her and said that turnips have been around for a very long time.  More frustration sets in.
My goal is for my students to understand their audience.  You may talk to your friends and family in one way, and your teacher another. :)  They are getting it.  They realize they must expand their thinking and explain their ways to us "old people."

No comments:

Post a Comment