Sunday, August 24, 2014

Gearing up for the 2014-2015 School Year!

Welcome back to school.  This years marks my 9th year teaching and the 12th time I've had to open a new classroom.  At the end of the last school year I was scheduled to teach second grade.  I was slightly disappointed that I would not be able to teach my same group of fourth graders as they moved on to fifth.  Technically, I had enough seniority to teach that class but our union contract states that new employees must stay in the same grade level for two consecutive years.  Being bumped out of that spot wasn't too bad since I'd still get to see the kids around campus, they could come tutor my youngsters, and their new teacher is pretty awesome.  My fourth graders even helped me move my belongings across the hall to my new second grade classroom.

During the summer I reconnected with my former second grade colleagues to begin planning for the new year.  Although I have taught second grade on several occasions, it's always nice to combine minds together and see what new ideas can evolve to create better teaching and learning experiences.  When we get together we seek each other's advice on certain subjects.  In the end, everyone wins, the teachers have something to take back to their students while friends are able to spend some time together.

With just over two weeks before the school year started, my colleague informed me that the teacher scheduled to teach 5th grade was leaving the district.  (I was sad to hear but happy that I could possible take over this class.) Since I am friends with this teacher who was allegedly leaving, I reached out to her and asked if this were true.  The teacher confirmed that information.  I contacted my principal immediately to see if I could move into that spot.  My principal had to verify that no one with higher seniority requested that class before she could make any changes.  This process took a couple of very long days.  I knew that if the switch happened I would not have much time to literally switch my belongings.

Final verification of my grade level switch was given the on first day of a highly anticipated science professional development for teachers (just three days before I set off for vacation). I'm no Superwoman but I always strive to get things done. I was determined to attend my conference, transfer my belongings to my new room in the other wing of the school, workout, and coordinate everything for my family vacation.  

I managed to successfully move all of my belonging into my new room by the leaving the conference one and a half hours early each day.  It was important for me to get everything out of that classroom before I left so the newly hired teacher could get in and set up.  That mission was accomplished but the mission of organizing and setting up my room was not.  I ran out of time and therefore I went on my fabulous vacation with my family.  I was secretly hoping some magic elves would come and fix everything up by the time I arrived.  At the very least I was hoping that the junk in my room had been removed as I requested.  Needless to say neither one of these things happened.  I was hoping for a mini miracle.

No comments:

Post a Comment