Saturday, September 14, 2013

When One Door Closes

My Friday the 13th was a bittersweet day.

The Bitter....
I had to officially say goodbye to my 4th grade boys and colleagues.  I was just meeting more extraordinary educators and getting to know them on a personal level.  Many of my colleagues were turning into friends.
This was th first week my boys starting showing aggression. Was I having a honeymoon period with them or are they acting out because of all the change in a short amount of time?  Before dismissal, my boys went around the room and said something nice about me.  It was touching and I will really miss them.

The SemiSweet...
I returned from my illness on Wednesday and I was surprised to have a first grade teacher, Allison, in my room.  Her first grade class was closed and she was an extra pair of certificated hands on campus during the week.  She got a taste of fourth grade on Tuesday when she unexpectedly had to be my substitute.
On a personal level, I know Allison is very funny, kind and caring.  I was able to get to know her better in June when we went on a technology professional development in Chicago.
I should have know that her teaching skills matched her personality!  Allison was so apprehensive about leaving her first grade comfort zone.  Not knowing her destiny for this entire week didn't ease her worries much.  On Wednesday, the principal told her to go to my room.  We had no idea why but we were able to draw some conclusions.  I used this as an opportunity to pack up my belongings since I was leaving the school at the end of the week due to "low enrollment."
The following day she returned to my room.  I began to assume that she would be the one taking over my class but the principal never explained his rationale.  I was so impressed with the way she handled my boys.  I suppose good teaching is just plain good teaching, grade level doesn't matter.  The content in fourth grade is different, but Allison can easily refresh her memory.  I had a great group of patient and sweet boys that are always willing to help a damsel in distress.

The Sweet....
Allison and I served as co-teachers for the past 3 days and it has been powerful.  We both had many opportunities where we learned from each other.  I gave her some pointers on working with the "big kids" and she was able to model many different strategies.  For example, there is one kid in particular that loves to give me a hard time.  It can be so frustrating when you feel like you are driving head first into a brick wall.  Having Allison give me a fresh prospective on the possible causes of the behavior.  She reminded me that kids have problems too.  Having her there to remind me gave me a better outlook on how to reach all children.  Allison also model different ways of managing the class and teaching lessons.  In just a few days, I watched my boys fall in love with Allison and Allison fall in love with my boys.
I am honored to pass the torch on to Allison.  I wish I could have stayed but since I can't having Allison there eases my concerns about my boys' futures.  Now there is no need to worry.  She'll be able to update me on all the wonderful things our boys are doing.  She is not only my friend but she is a super teacher.  Those boys are so lucky to have her!  And Allison, you are very fortunate to have this group as well.

A new adventures awaits me...to be continued....

No comments:

Post a Comment