Saturday, September 7, 2013

Is Fourth Grade Jinxed?

June 2009....
I remember being on an educational high.  I had successfully completed my first three years as a 5th grade teacher.  I felt like I had made a difference in the lives of these youngsters.  My fifth graders developed into mature junior high kids.
One week later...
I thought my world came crashing down, I was a fourth grade teacher.  My very identity had been stolen from me.  Being a 5th grade teacher is all I had ever known and wanted to know.  My first month with these little kids was rough for me.  It was hard to get them to be independent.  Everything about them was so un-fifth grade like.  I was desperately missing my big kids.
6 weeks later.....
I'm over the shock of being a fourth grade teacher and I actually begin to enjoy it.  I was getting along well with their little personalities.  We had a successful back to school night where I met most of the families.  I realized that I enjoyed working with kids, the only differences are with the curriculum.
October 2009....
The annual "Norm Day" is just around the corner and my school appears to be over-teachered and under studented.  New spreads that one teacher has to go and volunteers are requested.  No one volunteers.  Surprise, surprise, I have the least seniority at my location and will need to find a new location.  Thankfully my principal appreciated my hard work and assisted me in finding another location promptly.  On my last day, my students coordinated with other teachers to throw me a surprise party.  They made all of the decorations and made sure the adults brought food.  It was fabulous and I felt like a Super Teacher.  It was touching to see how my little fourth graders came together and made a solid plan without me every suspecting anything.
My new school wasn't too far away but it was in primary grades!  I threw a hissy fit when I had little fourth graders and now I have little first and second graders.  I didn't want my previous bad attitude to affect my relationship with this new group of students.  I had to keep reminding myself that I enjoy working with kids.  There are some vast developmental differences between students in the lower and upper elementary grades. My way of teaching needed to adapt to meet the needs of these little ones.  I sought out help from any teacher that would help me.
I went on to have four successful years teaching first through third grades.  I was able to continue working on  my National Board teaching certification (Got it November 2012).  Watching my youngsters grow and develop after they left my class was an extremely fulfilling experience.  There are pros and cons for upper and lower elementary.  However, I feel like I'm always on my A game in upper grades.  It feels more natural and more comfortable.  With that being said, I have found success with each and every class that I've had to honor to teach.
August 2013....
Super excited to be the proud teacher of a fourth grade, all boys class.  The beginning of a new years always brings about lots of changes.  We are still adjusting to each other.  The first three weeks have gone rather smoothly.
"Norm Day" is approaching and right now my school is over-teachered and under-studented (yes, I made that word up).  New spreads that one teacher has to go and volunteers are requested.  No one volunteers.  Surprise, surprise, I have the least seniority at my location and will need to find a new location.  Or will I?  The dust will settle by September 16th.

I call this the Fourth Grade Jinx.  Will I ever have one complete year as a fourth grade teacher with the same students?

2 comments:

  1. Sorry I have to be the one to bump you. I pray that everything will be fine and you won't have to go anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No hard feelings. I would just like to know what is going on and how I should proceed. My last day was extended until after Back to School Night. Leaving before then was a little ray of sunshine, lol. Seniority rules our profession.

    ReplyDelete