Thursday, August 8, 2013

Single Gender Class?!?!?

In preparation for my new adventure of teaching a fourth grade, all boys class, I've been doing some research. This phenomenon seemed new to me but apparently this is an older strategy.  Here's some food for thought: According to Dr. Leonard Sax, coed classrooms perpetuate gender stereotypes.  There seem to be some noticeable differences in the way that boys and girls learn in single gender classroom.  For starters, girls typically hear better than boys on average.  Most boys value friendly competition over friendship.  That doesn't mean boys don't have friends, boys and girls have different relationships with their peers.

4 days until I start this new adventure as the only single gender teacher at my site that does not share the gender of the class.  I think I may have found my dissertation topic.

No comments:

Post a Comment